Tok Tokkie Trails
Tok Tokkie Trails takes you close to the desert’s stunning beauty. Is there a better way to immerse in nature than on foot? Whilst walking, you will discover many secrets of the Namib that cannot be experienced when driving and you will get to feel different aspects of the desert – from mountainous terrain to sandy dunes. Let your guide introduce you to this desert world, relax with a sun downer and enjoy a three-course dinner before falling asleep under the stars...
Character of the trail:
- 2 nights/ 3 days, accompanied by a nature guide
- Walking is easy, only carry your daypack (basic fitness recommended)
- The pace is set to suit the guests, with lots of time to marvel and enjoy
- Small groups of 2 - 8 guests. Larger groups on request.
- Closely experience the awe-inspiring beauty of the desert and discover the amazingly adapted diversity of life in the desert
- Unwind by walking in the vast calmness of the desert
- A service team cares for you and transports your luggage
- Trails from mid of February till early December
Accommodation & Facilities:
- Spend unforgettable nights under the Namibian sky in your private stretch of dunes in a cosy stretcher bed equipped with mattress, duvet and cushion
- Hot bucket shower & open air toilet with splendid vista
- Breakfast, lunch, sun downers and three-course romantic dinners enjoyed out in the dunes
- Bring only "worn in" light hiking boots and your personal water bottles - all other equipment supplied
Meals & Drinks Included:
- 2 x breakfast, 1x light lunch, 2 x dinner, snacks as per itinerary, lunch on day of arrival can be booked in advance (not included)
- Beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee and juice are freely available in overnight camps
You should arrive at the Tok Tokkie Trails base by 14h00 (by 13h00 if you have booked lunch), where you will be welcomed with some refreshments. The trail starts with a visit to the Namib Desert Environmental Education Trust (NaDEET), a non-profit, donor sponsored trust, which aims at developing environmentally responsible citizens of Namibia, followed by a short scenic drive, which takes you to the spot where you start your walk. From there it is a short walk to your first overnight camp. Relax with a sundowner, marvel at the magnificent scenery and start “feeling” the desert.
Walking time: afternoon: 1 – 2 hrs, Sleeping out in the open
Coffee/ tea and breakfast are served at your bed before sunrise so that you can set off in the cool of the early morning. The highlight of the walk is the breathtaking view of the dunes and plains as well as the “coming alive” of the desert. With some luck, and the guide’s trained eyes, you may spot some of the desert specials (Golden Mole, Dancing White Lady, Barking Gecko, Dune Lark, Flightless Wasp just to name a few). At the shady lunch spot there is plenty of time to relax, have a siesta and reflect on all you have seen. As the heat recedes you start walking – on and through the dunes to your second overnight spot. The scene in front of you is an endless dune sea and “fairy circles” with a backdrop of magnificent mountain scenery. A delicious dinner after a long and enjoyable day is indeed welcome.
Walking time: morning: 4 – 4.5 hrs / afternoon: 2 – 2.5 hrs, Sleeping out in the open
After an early rise and breakfast, you set off again through the dune field. The soft and rolling dunes are interspersed by camel thorn trees, which provide welcome shade for a rest. Today’s walk is easy and you arrive at Tok Tokkie farmhouse at approximately 10:00, where you will again be welcomed with some refreshments.
Walking time: morning: 3 – 3.5 hrs
Do you need more information? Feel free to contact us!+264-61-375 650 firstname.lastname@example.org